Sunday, August 23, 2009

47 days...

potential traveling begins! According to Ashley and the government notice she received, she has to be out of here at on the anniversary of her arrival - September 22nd. If the rules are the same for Americans, I will have to be out of Korea by October 9th... a lot sooner than directors were hoping to let me go. They were hoping to keep me through the month of October, but I requested I be let go a little bit earlier for an extended travel time :D
If I am actually required to exit Korea by early October, that would put me in China around early November, and depending on if he will have me, I'll be in Shanghai till mid-December. Right now I am searching for classes to take, preferably CELTA over TOFEL to improve my chances of getting more global jobs. We'll see. Otherwise, I will be exploring the city, relaxing, looking for jobs online and enjoying Aaron's company when he's not at work.

As for Ash and I, we are doing a Southeast Asia tour for about three weeks, depending on our finances. We are hoping to make it to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Loas, but are considering the safety, or lack their of. Plans may have to move further south to Malaysia... either way, it's going to be an awesome chance of a lifetime! YAY!!!

So that's the future, here's the past...
Since Aaron's been gone, I've been filling my weekends with fun friend activities. We have had rooftop parties, filled with girlie wine drunks into the night, poolside visits gone wrong, trips to the Incheon beach, and touristy travels through Seoul.

Two weekends in a row, we took over Rob's roasty rooftop for a bar-be-que and our vain purposes. Both days were uncomfortably hot and required our feet to be bathed in ice water. On the second weekend, we attempted to swim at the exclusive and expensive Hamilton Hotel, only to be turned away by a Korean snob that didn't work that didn't work there (long story). Again, we turned to the roof for comfort, that and soft rock from Andrea's iPod.

We continued to soak up the sun on the days following. Ashley and her boyfrie
nd, TaeHyeun invited Mars and I to Incheon Beach (not quite sure the name of it). That was quite the site to behold. Never have a seen a tide so low grow so fast or so many humans so clothed in the heat. There is no beach that is more clothed in the WORLD than a Korean beach - we are talkin full on hoodie jackets, with hats and jean shorts. It appears they will melt if touched by the sun. I have yet to see it happen.

With no plans for the weekend and boyfriends out of town, Ash and I decided to go all touristy for the first time since I (not she) have been here. That's right, I don't think I have done more than two touristy things since being here. The day started around noon. We hit up the National Museum of Korea, Namsan Tower, Gyeongbok Palace and the 63 building. There was lots of beautiful art, temples, historical attractions and views. Atop the 63 building we were able to see the entire city of Seoul, which no matter how many times I see it, still amazes me - the amount of high rise apartments and building complexes, the cramped streets and flashing lights with a stunning mountainous backdrop. Amazing. After that, we got some ice cream and waited for a bus to take us to the jimjilbong... all the while staring at the ridiculous building giggling about inappropriate things, as we girls do :)




















I guess I should explain what a jimjilbong is... picture ancient Roman baths, where men lazied around in their towels, soaking in different temperature tubs and saunas. Take that, make it coed in parts (obviously clothed), add an oxygen and igloo room, with an outdoor tub and you've pretty much got it. We got there at 8, paid 8,000 won to get in (essentially $7), tried out the four different baths, the two saunas and moved onto the coed part where we ate, sauna'ed, oxygenated and relaxed. Although we had to option to stay the night on their mats, Ash and I preferred the comfort of our beds, so left before midnight.

It's now almost noon on a Sunday and I've already uploaded my pics, updated this blog, and raided CostCo of all its cheese. Now it's time to enjoy the fruits of my labor, and by fruits, I mean mozzarella and movies :)

Sidenote: If you want to stay up to date on my daily activities, check me out on twitter, or watch the same updates on the left side of this blog. Also, there are some links to photos you may have not see yet. Enjoy!

No comments: