Sunday, November 23, 2008

Fleeting, vibrant...

This week I was reminded of how temporary life can be. 

This is a dedication to my beloved Great Aunt Gerry, who I can still remember playing card games with us at the Grandma and Grandpa's cabin. This is how I will continue to fondly remember her. 

Two weeks ago, unknowingly I began a book about death and suddenness of it. Page 1 describes Susie Salmon's horrific murder with her being the narrator. From there she looks down over her family and watches her mystery unfold before their eyes. Rather than focusing on the mystery aspect, I am intrigued by her family's love and devotion to her after she has passed. This, as many other things, remind me that I need to tell my family and friends how much I love them. It is easy to show love when in the presence of someone, but to love from a far... well, it's new to me. I want to do everything I can to express to you (my family and friends) that I truly think of you every day and with that comes missing you. The further away I go, the more people I meet, the more I discover that they best people in the whole world are in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I am so blessed to have found you this early in life. Thank you, I love you and I miss you more than you know!

Story number three revealing life's fleeting nature occurred on Wednesday of this last week (10-19-08). As any other Wednesday, we headed to our neighborhood bar, MoonBlues. The night was average at most, it was on the walk home that our stories were altered. Unable to hail a cab, my friend Jared and I began the hike home. Along the way we passed a middle-aged plus man (the elderly men in Korea are called "Adjashies") curled in a little ball shaking from the cold. It was easily 10 degrees F that night. With my huge parka and socked feet, I was freezing. After walking past this "Adjashi" once, our consciences were left disturbed to say the least. We made it a goal to find this man a warm place to stay. Long story short, we couldn't find anywhere, the police came to our rescue and would not let him in the car with us. Realizing that our night was dedicated to the Adjashi and we were a packaged deal, the three of us were able to leave together and find a warm place for him. This was one night. What will happen the next? Are these his last hours? Is he destined to die freezing in the wealthy, bustling streets of Korea? This has been turning over and over in my head for days now.

Then today, I was shaken from my death fix by the joy of life. My sister, Jenna and her long-time boyfriend and my good friend, Tommy got engaged! The last five years have merely been a warm up to the journey they are about to embark on together. The idea of these two dears being together forever brings such color, vitality and vigor to the luminous life we live. I am elated to witness their passion for each other and their future triumphs to be tackled hand-in-hand. God bless you two! I couldn't be happier for a couple!!!

Moral of the week: Life is fleeting, temporary, provisional, yet brilliant while being lived. So spend it with those that extract that effervescence from it - I have found those that do so, my family and friends - you are loved and appreciated!

No comments: