Wednesday, December 23, 2009

SHaaronGHAI

Coming to Shanghai had little to do with city and everything to do with who was here. With my returning to the states, I wanted to spend time with Aaron one last time before we hit the long haul – seven months. I came here November 7th and have stayed for a six-week period. I am officially on my way home tomorrow.

These last few months have been the most bittersweet of my life. First, I completed my contract in Korea and had to leave my precious nuggets, but at least I had adventures in Southeast Asia to look forward to. Then when the beaches ended and I left one of my best friends, I had my boyfriend waiting on the other end. Now, I am leaving the love of my life (we’re obviously staying together for this next stage), but finally returning to my loving family and amazing friends. It seems I have started a trend of missing, that no matter where I am, now that I’ve been places, I will always miss someone or something.

Shanghai has been nice, much better than Beijing, that’s for sure. Although I appreciated Beijing for it’s sites, I hated the people – cruel, rude and deceitful. Shanghai is very modern and Western. Being the international business hub, there are soo many foreigners that they have to cater to. Thank goodness for that, because we have been eating and shopping well. That would define my time here best. Well, that, and playing housewife, which I rather enjoyed.

It has been quite routine and busy time for Aaron. He works 12 hours a day now, with basketball, so I do my best to stay busy and join him at school with any excuse – parties, etc. I’ve enjoyed watching him teach, coach and just be in his world – a good change of pace from Korea.

One weekend we were able to make it out. We flew to the beautiful region of Guilin. The first day was spent at the airport and around the “small” city. No matter how small a city pretends to be, it is still bustling with people. It is very apparent why the population is a problem here. They simply can’t keep up with the pollution and housing.

The countryside was the most phenomenal part of China that I have seen. The beautiful, little people and all their gorgeous hand-made clothing in their pine buildings set high in the mountains. That Sunday, we took a boat through the mountains, enjoyed the company we were with, took tons of pictures and had a fine lunch. In the afternoon, we wandered Yangshuo’s small Chinese alleys then were taken to a true village. Our guide gave us some neat tidbits into their lives. We took bamboo rafts down the river, got to pet water buffalo and witness their unique fishing methods.

The day following, we went far into the mountains where we watched a Long Hair show, supported their economy and hiked the rice patty fields. It was unfortunately an overcast and foggy day. We couldn’t see as much as the pictures exhibited, but could imagine the vastness of the fields upon fields. It was breathtaking.

I’m tired of writing… that should all suffice for my month’s adventures. I hope you enjoyed the year of stories. I know I enjoyed living them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog