Thursday, October 9, 2008

American (Italian, whatever) Pizza Saves the Night!

My pizza is getting cold. All I want to do is devour something “normal”. Ms. Song and Mr. Nam, my directors, were kind enough to pick up some PAPA JOHN’S for me… never has their garlic butter sauce looked mouth watering amazing. I have a feeling there are going to be many overwhelming appreciative moments throughout this adventure/experience/trip.

I arrived right on time to Seoul, got my bags quicker than any other (another passenger dubbed me the fastest... NBD) and without complication, made it through customs. My directors picked me up promptly and Mr. Nam was nice enough to take my bag… you know, the one with my fighting utensils! I think I have bigger muscles than he, regardless, he insisted – breaking a sweat all the while! Tehehe...

The road "home" took an hour and a half through Seoul. Incheon, the island they call their airport is on the east end, while Guri Shi (my home for the next year) was on the west, allowing me to see the glory that is downtown Seoul. Guri Shi is hardly as glamorous – two lane streets with obnoxious flashing lights, motorcyclists cutting cars off with little regard for their safety, not to mention horns’a’honkin. I’m currently staying at my motel (would tell you the name, but couldn’t pronounce it), a little whole in the wall with ripped carpets in the hallway and slippers in the bathroom. The toilet is taped shut reading, “this toilet has been disinfected”… good things I guess. The walls are pink with roses, my bed, low to the ground, as is all the furniture. They have provided me with a large TV, and my own bubbler for water. Tonight I will enjoy my pizza, attempt to watch an American show, settling for Miami Vice and everything nice. 

[I don't know it at the time, but there will be much else I do this week in the love motel, but watch American movies. And what is more American than Rambo, Kindergarten cop and Pretty Woman? Them Koreans have us down pat!]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your directors met you and everything! That sounds like quite an adventurous first night! I remember dressing all up thinking I would meet the director, but I met a taxi driver! haha