Sunday, October 26, 2008

Never thought I would have a “First Day of School” again!

I think it's safe to write about my first day of school now that my first week has passed. I must say, a weekend has never tasted so good!

I took my own classes for the first time - after five days of shadowing - this last Monday. My greatest fears that day will continue to be my greatest challenges throughout the year. SLP's (Sogang Language Program - my school) book system and class organization is, well, not systemized at all. As organized as the school is and as great as the books themselves are, figuring out what to use when and what needs to be done when has been next to impossible. All teachers agree that it takes a year to figure it out and then you're done! 

My other fear on Monday was that the kids would not absorb what I was spitting. For my sanity, I may have to come to terms with this hourly concern; however, it is my greatest motivation and number one reason for being here in the first place. 

The school has been great too me - setting me up in a nice apt, weekly outings so I can get to know everyone, and simply helping me get acquainted with the foreign land. The teachers are pretty cool - two other Americans, one Australian and two Canadians. It's a good mix. The foreign community is very welcoming too. I have been out a couple times with them. They introduce themselves the second you walk through the door - everyone is in the same boat for the most part - left a good home and are now trying to make the best of their new one. 

But the kids... I know that's what you really want to hear about (and ultimately what I want to write about). They are out of this world! I imagined them to be quaint little saints. Foolish Kelsey. Lets get real: Kids will be Kids, whether they are in America, Korea or Mars. They are wild, only want to play games and jump on you. They love screaming, kicking and coloring. 
However, there is one significant thing that is different... one of the greatest things about teaching in Korea vs. America is the freedom to express your love for the children. It is so brilliant being able to to tell your class that you love them and hearing it back. The second I walk through the door I get at least four hugs and, "I love you Kelsey Teacher (their title for the teachers)!" Have you ever heard of such a glorious thing?! It's sad that American kids don't get to hear that or express that. 

The picture on the left is one of my Kindy classes. We were celebrating October birthdays on Thursday and it was my Rachel's big day (girl front and center in the frufru dress). I was the host so we played pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey, and sang some lovely songs. It was the highlight of my week! 

As far as in the classroom teaching (as opposed to prep time, which stinks!) I LOVE IT! Mom and Dad were right when they said I would (they know me a little bit ;). I was surprised when I stepped in front of the class and felt completely at ease. Not to mention kids are the best audience ever. They laugh on command and sit quietly when I make them! It's the perfect relationship, really :)

TBC... currently brain farting

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it weird? We totally thought we were done having our first days of school and our first tests...

motion-beam said...

awesomeness!