Saturday, October 25, 2008

It's in the Little Things

There have been several little experiences over the last week that don't deserve their own blog, but are worthy of a mention. I think I will just continue to update this particular entry when something little happens, so REFER BACK TO IT!

When I am recognized as an American (always), people stop me to practice their English. It's pretty cute when I'm walking home in the dark and I hear a, "HELLOoO, HOWE AAA OOO TODAAAY?" Almost all children are getting some sort of English training, so the younger ones do the same, "Hello", whether we're getting on an elevator or eating dinner at a Japanese restaurant. They are so cute and eager to use the language :) 

My room is infested with mosquitos, so I pray for cold weather to freeze the minute lucifers and wear full body suits everywhere in the apt. Unfortunately, I can only cover up so much. My total mosquito count on my head alone - including my neck and ears - is 16! I never thought any bug could surpass my hate for spiders. Congratulations, you blood thirsty شيطان !

(10-19-08) Kelsey travels into a Seoul to meet a friend. The most adventurous part was the hour and a half sub-ride, in which I was the only caucasian appearing soul for the entire ride into Seoul (punny!). Have ever been stared at for that length of time by over a hundred people? Good times and God bless my iPod. Moral of that story was supposed to be that there are a lot of foreigners if you find the right pocket. In my case, a little pub in Itaewon. 

(10-22-08) Results are in from the infamous test: this girl is gluten sensitive. Eh, I knew it, I just didn't want to admit it. Now what do I do with that? I just had a pb&j... is that so bad? :/

(10-24-08) Norebang (sp?) is the Korean version of karaoke. It is unlike any karaoke I have ever experienced in the states. Here, you rent a room- in our case, for 20 - and are in control of every song that comes on. We had a near even split of Korean teachers to Foreigners (as we call ourselves), so about every other song was an American hit then Korean hit. I began one of the most shy performers, only shaking the tambourine in the corner. By the end of the night, I was the last one standing, still performing [poorly]. They couldn't get me off once I got started! It was one of the most fun things I have done since being here. If you ever get the chance to do private karaoke... DO IT! You will not regret it, just as I do not regret screaming "Born in the U.S.A." to a majority Asian crowd. Sure we got booed off the stage, but we had fun when we were up there!

Till next time: Have a sunny day and a starry night!

No comments: